How to Hold a Paint and Sip Party Without Liabilities

Sharing is caring!

Starting a new paint and sip party business is exciting. So exciting in fact, that we often tend to overlook some things that we really shouldn’t overlook.

If you are starting your own sip and paint business, have you taken into consideration that there could be some liabilities to worry about?

After all, you may be working with children. Or, you may be serving wine or alcoholic beverages. Or, if you are teaching a sip class at someone’s home, you might break something.

What would you do in any of the above-mentioned scenarios? Keep reading to learn more about how to hold a paint and sip party without liabilities and understand all the legal requirements.

Consider Zoning Laws

If you are planning on setting up a studio where you can host paint and sip parties, you need to consider the zoning laws for your municipality. For instance, if the studio is in your home, you need to make sure that your neighborhood is properly zoned for a business.

This may not seem like a big issue. After all, everyone has parties at their homes once in a while, right?

Well, paint and sip classes aren’t quite the same as a regular party. People aren’t simply there because you invited them. They are paying to be at the paint party, which makes the party a business endeavor.

There are a few ways that you can solve this problem.

Business Licensing

Some municipalities will let you buy one-off licenses, so you can have one paid-for paint party at your home studio.

Some municipalities will even allow you to apply for a license to be able to run a business out of your home. In fact, you may even need federal, state, and municipal licensing to have a home paint and sip business.

Rent a Space in the Business District

Another option, if you have the money for it, is to rent a space in your local business district. Business districts are already zoned for businesses, so you don’t need to go out and get any special licenses.

You can set up your sip and paint studio, and start offering painting parties right away. Or, can you?

Other Business Legalities to Consider

There are a couple of very important issues to consider when starting a paint and sip business. One is wine or other alcoholic beverages. Is it legal to serve wine at your studio?

Then, you also need to think about whether or not there will be kids at the party.

You also need to consider the fact that some of your materials, furniture, etc. may be damaged or broken by party guests who get a little too rambunctious.

Get a Liquor License

Quite often, I teach paint and sip classes at my art studio. Not only do I have to provide all of the art materials, but I also often have to provide wine or other alcoholic beverages, along with some snacks.

To be able to legally provide your guests with alcoholic beverages, whether you provide drinks for free or if paint party guests must pay for drinks, you will need to have a liquor license.

If you are working from your home art studio, even if you have a business license, you are still going to need a liquor license to legally serve alcoholic drinks.

It will be the same if you need to rent a different venue for the event. Some venues may already be licensed to serve alcohol, but others may not be.

Now, if most of the paint parties you teach at will be at someone else’s home, this is a different story. The host can legally serve alcohol to their guests who are of age, or they can get the paint party guests to bring their own drinks.

What if Kids are At the Paint Party?

Some people ask if they can bring their kids to a paint and sip night. Generally, I do not allow children under 14 to attend the parties I teach at my studio. Unfortunately, I can’t control this when I teach in the hosts’ homes.

If I am hosting a paint party specifically for kids, you can be sure I do not have any alcohol in the room whatsoever (unless it is the rubbing alcohol I sometimes need for certain art projects).

If parents want to bring their kids to an adult paint and sip night, I make it a rule to not allow young children. I also make it very clear that if they do bring young children, they will be asked to leave.

The reason for this is twofold: first, smaller children get into things, and they could spill paints and water, or damage some art materials. Second, there is alcohol being served at the paint party.

I always tell parents that they are responsible for ensuring that their kids do not have any alcohol, and if they do, I am not to be held liable.

Create Contracts

There are several types of contracts you will need to have for your paint and sip business. These contracts will protect you in so many ways.

Contract for Paint Parties

Whether you are teaching in your studio or at someone’s home, you need to have contracts.

A contract should mention that you are not liable for any furniture or other items that may be damaged during the party. There will be several things that need to be agreed upon, including payments, methods of payment accepted, refund policy, etc.


Paint and sip parties are loads of fun, as long as you have your I’s dotted and your T’s crossed. Make sure you cover yourself for all legalities, always work within the laws of your municipality and state, and that you have contracts.

I guarantee that by covering all of these areas, you can safely host paint and sip parties knowing that you don’t have to worry about any legal issues later on.

*image by gorgev/depositphotos